Sugar Does not Make Everything Better






After a very challenging day , I decided to make us a healthy smoothie, I put in yogurt, frozen fruits and coconut milk and some whole milk... not sure why I put in the milk but I did, after blending I gave some to my seven year old son Seth,  after tasting he made a face and handed the glass to me. I let out a hearty laugh knowing he did not like smoothies anyway so I proceeded to taste it myself, it tasted terrible.  The coconut milk was starting to go bad, so I threw that bit away and made a whole new batch with frozen fruits , yogurt ,milk, and ... sugar. Blended it quickly and tried to get Seth to drink some .. trying my best I said, this time I put in some sugar, his response was " Sugar doesn't make everything better" I smiled inside. I thought it was something he had heard somewhere so I asked " Did your teacher say that? He said no he had just got it from his mind. 

He was so right whilst the sugar may have enhanced the taste of the smoothie it certainly was not a healthy addition. In his wisdom he had found a way to say he still did not want the smoothie, but in that statement was a message. Sugar coating things does not make everything better.  We sometimes sugar coat or try our best to say things in a manner that will not hurt others, but there are situations where honesty is necessary, making our intention clear to the listener or receiver.

Communicating our intention is important as it helps the listener understand your reason for saying what is about to be said. If your intention is to help or to make a situation better then it must be communicated first then we should be honest with the receiver. While it may hurt at first it is necessary.

Proverbs 27: 6, (KJV) says "Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful"
 
The Christian Standard Bible  version says, " You can trust a friend who corrects you, but kisses from an enemy are nothing but lies."  

I am in no way condoning being mean or just saying things to a friend or loved one or anyone to hurt  this person, however I am saying there are critical moments when sugar coating will not make things better. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Epiphany

WHY?

He Still Loves You!